Alaska-Yukon District UPCI
Alaska Yukon District UPCI Website
AdobeStock_69826689.jpeg

Alaska - Yukon

History

 

Our Past

It was May 14, 1940. Observers watching the freighter S.S. Tongass steam into the Sitka harbor had no idea that the lives of this coastal village and the course of the entire Alaska Territory was about to be changed forever. 

Following a tug in their heart and a desire to share the truth of the Gospel with the indigenous people of Alaska, Kenneth and Louise French were beginning an adventurous journey to the exciting Last Frontier. 

Beginning in Sitka, Alaska, the family began to meet with the local villagers sharing the hope of Jesus Christ. As good news always does, the Word of God began to spread, and soon gatherings of believers were sprouting up in Hoonah, Angoon, Yakutat, and all throughout the Southeast Inside Passage. By the mid 1950s, churches were begun in Anchorage and Fairbanks, planting roots that spread throughout all of South Central and Interior Alaska. 

Our Present and Future

Today, there are over 28 churches in the Alaska-Yukon District, reaching the remote communities and people of the North. Yet, while there are churches strategically placed throughout this large region, there are many villages and cities that still do not have local churches. 

Recognizing the continued need for transformation of the lives of people, the district is employing unconventional means to sharing the Gospel. Through the Alaska Flying Ministry, internet, and regional gatherings, the Word of God is being spread further and faster than ever before.